Sustainable Waste & Resource Management
Uncategorized / yttadmin / 2:28 pm
are actively engaged in projects which help Youghal town to be more sustainable
and reduce our environmental impact.
of such projects are listed below:
- Green Schools Programme – This is an international environmental education programme, environmental management system and award scheme that promotes and acknowledges long-term, whole school action for the environment.
- YTT continues to support Bunscoil Mhuire who secured the Town’s first Green Schools Flag in 2012 and was awarded a second green flag in 2014. During the winter months, South Abbey National School commenced the Green Flag Assessment Process, and was awarded its first Green Flag in 2018. Gaelscoil Corain received its first Green Flag earlier this year. YTT are currently working with Pobail Scoil na Trinoide and a committee has been established in the school to commence the Green Flag programme in September. It is both appropriate and essential that ALL local schools are part of the initiative in order to truly deliver on the vision of Youghal Tidy Towns into the future.
- Bio-Diversity & Waste Minimisation – In 2019, Youghal Tidy Towns participated in the Cork County Council “Councils and Biodiversity” conference and the SECAD (South and East Cork Area Development) “Discover the Wildside of Youghal’.
- Key in the promotion of biodiversity is actually getting the local community involved, so YTT hosted the following public workshops in May 2018, which were open to the public and free of charge:
1) Composting for households.
2) Recycling at home.
- Greenhome.ie – YTT ran a successful campaign during 2018 to increase awareness on the ‘Greenhome Initiative’ and to encourage Youghal citizens to sign up for and avail of the resources on this website through a Facebook Campaign and use of Twitter. Green Home was “developed as a framework to support and advise householders on ways to save money on their household bills while protecting the environment.” (Source: www.greenhome.ie)
- YTT used its Facebook page to promote the SEAI grant scheme for energy conservation under the “Warmer Homes” Scheme.
- In 2018, Youghal Tidy Towns organised a water conservation project “Every drop counts” in Bunscoil Mhuire, as well as participating in the Community Reuse Network Ireland seminar .
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle – YTT designed and posted a leaflet to every home in Youghal advertising the Greenhome.ie resource and advocating reduce, reuse and recycle . The Campaign also encouraged citizens to avail of the facilities in the Civic Amenity site.
- An Taisce – Green Flag Programme. YTT has continued to work with An Taisce this winter in promoting waste minimisation and raise public awareness as part of this programme.
- An Taisce Seminar – A number of Tidy Town Committees and members of the public from East Cork attended this seminar which focused on biodiversity and waste minimisation. YTT played a strong role in promoting the seminar in the local media.
- YTT has worked with the Links Coop to develop a community composting facility at St. Raphael’s which is up and running since last March.
- YTT has promoted and distributed Cork County Council’s “A Guide to Managing Household Waste and Domestic Water Usage” to Youghal residents over the last year.
- YTT has collaborated with Youghal Chamber of Commerce to develop a “green festival” policy which has been implemented since last Summer. This policy plans extending collaboration with ALL key festivals in the town to include: Youghal Medieval Festival (attracting 8,000 visitors), Youghal Mackerel Festival & Youghal Spooktacluar. As these festivals are spread throughout the year, the ‘green message’ will be consistently communicated throughout these events to not only the local community but also to visitors, that Youghal is a key deliverer in terms of environmental awareness.
- YTT has work with Bunscoil Mhuire Primary School to develop a “walking bus” on Mon/Wed/Fri and has been operating since last October.
- YTT as a member of the Youghal Social and Environmental Group has been instrumental in the establishment of a community bus service. The service runs 3 days per week and focuses on providing a service for older persons and disadvantaged families.
- Planning and developing a community composting and allotments project at the Millennium Garden in association with Youghal Men’s Shed – Planning commenced in April 2019.
- SMILE Resource Exchange – Local businesses can request or offer resuable materials, by-products or surplus stock that could potentially be a raw material for another business. Current users include The Walter Raleigh Hotel, The Old Imperial Hotel and Clancy’s Bar, to name a few.